Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Show and Tell: 50's Pink Satin Prom Dress with White Lace Overlay

This dress is very special to me. I've owned it since high school.

In my senior years (I went to high school for four years) I directed the acting for our high school musicals. In my final year we presented Grease. Through some twist of fate (I can't remember the details anymore) my Mom and I ended up buying most of the costumes for the main characters in the show.


At that point in my life I had a number of years of thrift shopping experience under my belt. And you could still buy good vintage in a thrift store (nobody was invested in it back then...those were the days!!). I was so enamoured with the clothes we bought for the show I never asked my high school to reimburse me for them and kept them (with my Mom's permission of course...I'm pretty sure she paid for all of them! Love you Mom!!).
And so began my collection of vintage.

This dress was in the lot. The girl who played Patty Simcox (head of the cheerleading squad) wore this dress to the big school dance.










And the interior construction:



It's a little difficult to see in this shot, but you can see the extra wide side seams on this dress. A sure sign of real vintage!







As you can see, this beauty is not without a little damage. I would attribute this one to being worn in a high school musical. I may sew it closed one day.



And the tags. The small tag denotes this dress as a size 12. And the bottom tag is quite faded. It does recommend dry cleaning though.



I've sold a lot of the pieces I kept from the show, but this one has remained in my closet. I'm positive we paid between $8 and $10 dollars for it and I still can't believe we costumed a musical set in the 50's from Value Village. Those were the days (didn't I just say that?!).

Want to see more of my collection? More Show and Tell posts here (just click and scroll down!).

Lisa.xo


Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home