Friday, August 3, 2012

How to Clean a Ring with Toothpaste

This was my Grandma Cotton's family ring. It has my Mom's, my Aunts' and my Uncle's birthstones in it. It was given to my Grandma by my Grandpa...well I'm not quite sure when... (Mom? Do you know?)


When my Grandparents passed away (I believe it was about 8 or 9 years ago now) no one in my family claimed it. My Mom inherited most of my Grandma's other jewellery, so she took this home too and asked me if I'd like it.

I have worn it every day since. I feel naked without it.

It's looking a little grungy these days. I only take it off to sleep, to shower, to apply hand lotion, when I'm baking or cutting raw meat. And I can't remember the last time I took it to a jeweller to get cleaned.

The front of the ring is dirty too, but the camera wasn't showing it as well as the back.

I went out for coffee with my Mom the other night and asked her where I could take it to get it cleaned. She replied "Clean it at home with toothpaste and an old toothbrush". What?! Won't that hurt the ring? She said "You clean your teeth that way and it's not like you're doing it every day."

So I tried it! And it worked like a charm!! Thanks Mom!

It's simple, I know you'll have all the "tools" at home and it takes about 5 minutes.


NOTE: 
Be sure to plug the drain in your sink before you begin. This will ensure that your ring doesn't fall into the drain pipe if you drop it while you are cleaning. (I don't have a tutorial on how to take apart a drain pipe! lol!)

You'll Need:






Once rinsed, dry your ring on a clean, lint free towel.


And for fun, here's the before and after:


Pretty awesome right?! And it only took me about 5 minutes! I will use this method again for sure!

Do you have a different DIY method you use to clean your jewellery at home? Do tell!

Lisa.xo

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home