Saturday, September 22, 2012

Money Saving Beauty Tips



I am a thrifty girl (sometimes I use the word cheap, but in the wrong context this can get me into trouble...I kid...but thrifty does sound better doesn't it?). Being thrifty doesn't just apply to my closet, I also try to be thrifty when it comes to my beauty routine. Not so much that I deserve a spot on TLC's Extreme Cheapskates, but I do like to save money and avoid waste (if you have not heard of this show I urge you to click the link and watch a few of those videos...they will blow your mind!!). So now I'm passing the savings along to you!

Alternative shaving cream
Instead of buying shaving cream I use conditioner. More specifically the ultra hydrating conditioner I get in the box of my hair dye. I always have leftover conditioner when I'm done dying my hair and can't bring myself to throw it out. I find it makes my legs super soft and smooth for days! It's a product two for one! I save money by not buying foaming shaving gel and I stretch the dollar on my hair dye because I never throw out the un-used conditioner.
If you don't dye your own hair I think any rich, hydrating conditioner would be just as good.


Zit spot treatment
Lemon juice. Works better than toothpaste (In fact I've found that toothpaste doesn't work at all). I take a Q-tip and soak the end in lemon juice and apply it to the spot and let it dry. Doesn't get rid of a zit overnight, but it does reduce size and swelling dramatically and done over several nights can make a spot completely disappear. Lemons cost less than 50 cents each. 'Nuff said.


Stretching the life of your beauty products
All you need is a pair of scissors and a zip lock bag. Do you know what I'm gonna say? Yup, I'm one of those people. The ones who cut open their toothpaste tubes and scrape out whatever is left when I can't squeeze any more toothpaste out. I also do this with my face wash, moisturiser and anything other product I can cut open. When I'm done cutting it open I store it in a ziplock bag until I use the rest of the product. Honestly, you'd be surprised how much product is trapped in most containers...ok, now I'm a little embarrassed that I just posted that on the internet...
oh well...

How do you stretch your dollar? Any money saving tips you'd care to share?

Lisa.xo

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home