Monday, June 24, 2013

Outfits: Aloha!

Summer has arrived in Winnipeg and I couldn't be happier! I saw Modcloth's 'Coastal Break' Retro Playsuit Set via Pintrest months ago and was instantly smitten. If you remember I have been wanting a matching playsuit set and this one is exactly what I was looking for! 
I feel like I should be on a tropical island in this outfit - Hawaii would be perfect!!

I'd never bought anything from Modcloth before - I find their stuff cute, but pricey - I'm much more inclined to spend that much on something vintage rather than new. I couldn't resist though and decided to splurge. I'm so happy I did...how cute is this outfit?!?!


Despite loving the look of these pieces, I have mixed reviews of my purchase. The quality, cut and design of the set is great! Exactly as it appears on the website. The sizing on both the top and skirt, however, both run big - particularly the skirt. Thankfully it was nothing my trusty sewing machine couldn't handle. Rather than return my items I decided it was just as easy to alter them to fit me. 

I bought a medium in both items. The top was definitely the right size for my bust, but I had to shorten the straps about 1 1/2". 
The skirt was quite big on me. I probably should have bought a small - I always have this problem. Apparently I'm smaller than I think I am - but I always tend to buy a bit big and alter to fit. I had to take the skirt in a whole 2". Modcloth's website says a medium should be a 27-28" waist, which is exactly what I have, so I thought I'd be ok this time...ah well...good thing I've got skills with a sewing machine. 


So after a painless 20 minutes of pinning and sewing I've got this cute ensemble! I received many compliments when I wore it out and it's so comfortable and cool! Win! I am imagining all sorts of summer outfits for these pieces -together and separately.
I did wear a short slip under the skirt so it didn't stick to my legs too much, but the skirt has a wonderful fullness without a crinoline due to the stiffness of the cotton. 



Unfortunately, Modcloth seems to be sold out of the skirt, but the top is still available. They do seem to have other playsuit separates for sale right now though here and here. I can't vouch for those ones specifically, but I know I adore mine and despite minor issues in sizing, would recommend them! 


White Hair Flower: Ricki's Sample Sale
Retro 'Coastal Break' Playsuit Set: Modcloth
Bangles: Thrifted
Vintage Bamboo Purse: Thrifted, Value Village
Denim Espadrilles: George


Lisa.xo

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home