Friday, February 10, 2012

Opening Night: The Fighting Days

We had a great show yesterday! I always feel so relieved the day after opening. Like we made it. This is the easy part of the job and the part I enjoy the most: the repetition of having a show every night.

As I sat backstage during the show yesterday I started to get a little choked up. I've always wanted to work at Manitoba Theatre Centre. It's the largest theatre in the province and Canada's premier regional theatre. I fought really hard to get this job and it's been a long winding road to make it to a place in my life where I'm secure and happy with what I'm doing.
I remember telling my parents at the age of 14 that I wanted to be an actor and my Dad being very upset. He was worried that I wouldn't be able to feed myself. Now I suppose if I had decided to be an actor life would inevitably be harder, but stage managing keeps me working in theatre and also pays the bills. I got choked up because I thought he'd be proud of me.
I'm proud of me. It's very satisfying to see your dreams, no matter how small they may be, materialize before your eyes. And I felt all of that last night as I sat backstage. I've got tears in my eyes right now...

Anyway...the reason I started writing this post is because I wanted to show you my opening night dress.

This dress is another treasure from The Boy's Aunt Mary. She passed away two weeks ago and I wanted to wear it as a little tribute to her and her amazing style. She was a lovely woman and we miss her.



This is me and my Assistant Stage Manager Candace. We went to university together and haven't worked together since. It has been so great! She's such an amazing stage manager and I've learned so much from her on this show.

50's Wiggle Dress: From Aunt Mary
Blue Pumps: Forever 21
Flowers in my hair: Real! Opening night gift from our Stage Manager Margaret!


Lisa.xo

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home