Friday, July 12, 2013

Liebster Award!

I've been nominated for the

Thank you Frocks and Frivolities for nominating me!! :D


So what exactly is a Liebster Award? Well,
"It's a token of recognition that bloggers award to fellow bloggers who they think deserve more recognition. The terminology "Liebster" roughly translates to "Dearest" from German"


Here are the "rules" (if you will):

1. Answer the 11 questions asked by the nominating blogger*.
2. Nominate 11 blogs to receive the award who have under 200 followers. 
    (Let them know in their comments.)
3. Post 11 new questions for them to answer.
4. Link back to the blogger who nominated you.

*This is meant for fun, please by no means feel obligated to participate if nominated, but it is a fun way to get to know some other bloggers out there with similar interests. If you have done this before and want to do it again then do or post a link to your previous answers. If you are not interested in participating then no pressure or hard feelings...I look forward to reading your answers if you choose to do this I would love it if you would leave me a comment with a link to your post!


11 Questions Asked of Me:
1. What are your blogging goals for this year?
It was a bit of a slow start this year, but I'm well on my way to achieving some of my blogging goals. I always strive to post with more frequency (which can very difficult at times with my demanding job in theatre) and this year I fell off the blogosphere for a month or more in the spring due to work. 
But the big goal for this year was to purchase a tripod and start taking my outfit photos outside. As of last week I can tick this one off my list! Feels good to be moving forward and accomplishing goals!  

2. Who are your biggest influences?
In terms of blogging, my influences are currently Chronically Vintage (Jessica posts with incredibly regularity without sacrificing content),  Esme and the Laneway (I love love love her photos. They are always beautiful) and The Vintage Valley (this girls style is so simple and chic. Plus her blog is beautiful).
In terms of personal style, Dita Von Teese tops my list. I love her polished vintage look - how couldn't I? It's perfection. Stylin' rockabilly girls - like Vintage Vandalizm - influence my casual looks. 


3. What was the first blog you read on a regular basis?
Sally Jane Vintage and the now defunct Lulu Letty. I'm sure there were others, but those are the ones I remember. 

4. How did you get interested in vintage?
I've been wearing vintage since I was in high school. My Mom had a friend whose style I loved. Well, it turned out that she bought most of her clothes second hand. I asked her if she would take me sometime and she did! I learned the thrifting ropes at the tender age of 14 and never looked back. I wore vintage in the 90's when it was very uncool. I would often have people in school ask me where I bought my pants/shirt/jacket and when I told them it was second hand I was usually met with disgust at wearing "dead people's clothes". High school found me wearing a lot of 70's wide leg pants and vintage printed tee-shirts and loud button up shirts.
I refined my style and found "my era" in university working with my best friend in Winnipeg's best known vintage shop Ragpickers. My love for vintage, knowledge and personal collection grew in leaps and bounds while I worked there. 
Blogging has also really helped me feel more comfortable with my unusual personal style (Winnipeg is the North American capitol for sweatpants I think - it's such a casual city!!). I am not afraid to dress a little more out of the box these days. I know that despite the fact that there is little to no "vintage subculture" in my city that it abounds elsewhere and that I am not alone. Blogging has helped me connect with people who are passionate about vintage in the same way I am. 

5. What are your favourite topics to blog about?
Even though this is fashion heavy lifestyle blog, I really love posting about my work in theatre and truly hope my readers enjoy it too. I have such an unusual job that I love sharing my work with my readers. No one has complained yet, so I'll keep posting! lol!

6. What would your dream vintage piece be?
Vintage Dior or Chanel dress from the early 50's. 

7. What is your current favorite piece in you own closet?
Tough question...It would have to be a dress - I have a serious weakness for dresses....
Today, it's this one:

You can see more pics of this dress here and here

I bought it at Ragtime in Ottawa. I was there stage managing a show for a festival two years ago. Everything goes with this dress and I can wear it dressed up or dressed down. 

8. If you had to pick one type of vintage item to collect what would it be? (purses, shoes, hats, jewelry...)
If I could only collect one vintage thing it would be dresses. I love vintage dresses. I can usually resist any kind of vintage treasure, but vintage dresses are my achilles heel. Gotta have 'em and I will never have enough of them. I think it's a sickness really...

9. What do you find most challenging about blogging?
Posting when I'm working. I do my best to stockpile posts in draft and schedule, but sometimes I just fall behind the eight ball. Thankfully I'm not a pro blogger...so I try to forgive myself for my lapses in frequency. 
Sometimes I also have nothing to say, but have an outfit to show. In these situations I usually feel some sort of weird guilt about not having anything witty or interesting to say expect "Hey! Look what I wore the other day! Isn't it great?"

10. What do you enjoy most about it?
Like so many other blogger, what I love the most is connecting with my readers. I love reading comments and especially love getting emails. I've also made a few great acquaintances and online friends. 
I also love sharing my love of vintage. Most of my "real life" friends don't wear or collect vintage and I enjoy being able to geek out on my blog about the vintage things on my mind I can't connect with them about. 

11. What is one thing not vintage related that you love?
Nature! I love the outdoors! Walks, hikes, bike rides, boat rides, snowmobiling...nature is my happy place. 


My Nominees (I have tried to include as many Canadian blogs in this list as possible. :

1. Bella’s Boudoir - This girl has a serious passion for making and wearing costumes - which I can totally relate to (having worked in two costume shops in the last 10 years). And her "Expectations/Reality" posts crack me up every time.
2. Doll in a Sugar Coma - This girl has wicked retro style and beautiful images on her blog. 
3. Gentlemen Prefer Blondes - Another lovely UK lady with impeccable 40's style. I am very envious of her beautifully styled hair. 
4. Grey Lashes - A local Winnipeg blogger. I love her thrifting posts - she finds great stuff! 
5. Leopard and Lipstick  - I love this girls outfit posts (she has beautiful style!), her inspiration posts and her taste in housewares. I never miss a post!
6. My Twelve Cents Worth - Another Canadian! This lady hails from Edmonton. I enjoy the posts of her outings with her vintage loving friends. 
7. Paige Virginia - This girl is adorable! Disney and Disneyland are a common post theme here - so much fun!
8. Past Perfect Vintage - This blog is full of beautiful vintage eye candy. It usually features items from the Past Perfect Vintage Online shop and often contains great information on eras and vintage designers. 
9. Retro Reporter - Another Edmonton blogger. She has super cute style and her posts are always a good read.
10. Three Cats Vintage - What's not to love about this blog. Pretty images, a beautiful etsy shop and her outfit posts are always lovely.
11. Miss Bee Vintage - Another Edmonton blogger (clearly I've got some vintage gf group envy here! haha!). A burlesque dancer, thrifter and homemaker (check out her post on how to pick the perfect pot roast!). All around good stuff here. 


11 Questions for my Nominees:

1. How long have you been blogging? What made you start?
2. Where do you shop for your vintage wardrobe? Mostly online? Or local?
3. What was your first vintage clothing purchase? 
4. What do you do for a living? (be it school or work)
5. City girl? Or country girl? Why?
6. How important - or not - is having an authentic vintage look from head to toe to you and why?
7. What was your best vintage buy ever? 
8. Do you own a vintage car? If not, what is your dream car? 
9. Any other eras of interest to you (other than the one that informs your fashion)?  
10. Heels or flats? and why?
11. (I'm reusing a question here because I liked it) What is the one thing non vintage related that you love?

Nominees: Please let me know when your answers go live on your blog! I can't wait to read them!


Thanks again for the nomination Frocks and Frivolities!


Lisa.xo

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home